- Image Credit: AP
- The New York judge on Thursday said Bynes didn’t need a separate mental health hearing. The 27-year-old's lawyers have said she cannot be tried because she's mentally unfit.
A lawyer for Amanda Bynes said Thursday that he thinks her New York bong-throwing case will be resolved soon.
The troubled actress didn’t appear during a brief court appearance in Manhattan as she remains in a psychiatric hospital in California.
She was charged earlier this year with reckless endangerment and marijuana possession after building managers called police because they said she was smoking pot in the lobby of her Manhattan apartment. When officers entered her 36th-floor apartment, they said they saw her heave a bong out the window.
The 27-year-old Hairspray star later appeared in court in a dishevelled blonde wig and said she didn’t do anything wrong. It was one episode in a string of erratic incidents involving the star in recent months. She was institutionalised in August after authorities said she set a small fire in the driveway of a home in Thousand Oaks, California.
Bynes pleaded not guilty to drunken driving in California, and her attorney there argued Wednesday that she needed a competency hearing because she was unfit for trial.
The New York judge on Thursday said Bynes didn’t need a separate mental health hearing. Her attorney, Gerald Shargel, said she remained hospitalised and wished her a speedy recovery. He said he’s working with prosecutors to resolve the case. That could mean charges would be dropped if she agrees to stay out of trouble.
No comments:
Post a Comment